For a more holistic approach to weight control, the Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute offers a comprehensive assessment and treatment plan that addresses hormonal and metabolic imbalances, as well as mental, emotional, and physical factors that impact a person’s weight and nutritional status.
- Our inter-professional team of licensed and certified healthcare providers work together to care for patients seeking to improve their chances of healthy and effective weight management.
In addition to traditional weight management care,patients who receive our services often participate in biofeedback and mind-body courses, including mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), 1:1 Yoga and Tai Chi to manage stress, decrease emotional eating and develop important skills for self-care and management.
The integrative approach to weight management starts with a medical evaluation of the unique factors that impact a person’s weight and nutritional status. To begin, integrative weight management evaluation strategies can include:
- Evaluation of emotional health
- Non-invasive diagnostic testing to evaluate sleep, vascular and brain health
- Nutrition and dietary assessment that evaluates opportunities to use food to heal and promote wellness
- Evaluation of chronic conditions that may impact nutritional status or ability to maintain a desired weight
- Advanced diagnostic laboratory testing to identify conditions that may reduce a person’s ability to commit to an activity regimen, dietary plan or impact motivation
The Samueli Institute’s integrative weight management program is ideal for patients struggling with either a high or low BMI. We work closely with patients to optimize weight management prior to bariatric surgery or/ bariatric procedures. We follow our patients after surgery to promote and sustain health and wellness though post-acute and long term recovery phases.
Additionally, integrative treatments and therapies can relieve the symptoms of a variety of conditions, including those that have the greatest impact on weight management.
Using a medically supervised weight management model, we work with our patients to help them create the best version of themselves using some of the following modalities:
- 1:1 yoga
- Massage: therapeutic medical massage and non-medical massage
- Mindfulness therapies including: biofeedback, mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), tai chi and counseling
- Nutrition customized to address chronic illness and emotional factors
- Group visits to enhance education of available options utilizing integrative care to achieve and maintain a desired weight
Why Choose Us?
Our whole-person philosophy recognizes the uniqueness of each individual and the need for a personalized treatment plan.
Our ultimate goal is to make sure our patients have the support and the resources to learn about their health, understand the reason for their health concerns and be inspired to make positive changes to meet and sustain their weight management goals.